Saturday, February 6, 2010

Revelstoke.

Revelstoke is a town/mountain resort about a 3 hour drive from Banff, Alberta. Its supposed to have the highest vertical drop in Canada and some of the best snow. I've always wanted to visit it and my friend Sam who I had met randomly in the streets one drunken night was living there. He wanted to come back to Banff and I wanted to visit Revvy so I decided to drive down there for the weekend, crash at his house and then drive back. The drive was decant I managed to stick on 2wd the whole way, the only problem was it was super dirty and I ran out of washer fluid. Its pretty hard to drive when you can't see...

Revelstoke is a bit of a dead town but it does have quite a large young Kiwi population, for someone who never really hangs out with Kiwis and then suddenly your the token aussie surrounded by them its daunting. Plus Kiwis in their natural environment are really hard to understand..

Sam cooked me dinner and we had drinks before heading out onto the town. We went to some bar and it was taking ages to get a drink then this old guy brought us a round for no reason. So we just sat and chatted on the couch before heading home and crashing out around midnight.

Sunday we went up the mountain. I think my game was completely off.. It was rough terrain, mogully, super bad visibility but I had great company. Sam stuck with me all day even though I was being a massive wimp and taking my time. I think he had a relaxing day! Took me through a few trees runs which was pretty cool Im not very good at controlling my board in tight conditions tend to freak out a bit to much. I did get stuck in a tree well at one point. I fell over a ton one of my most impressive stacks was flying down a blue run and I see this dip, I thought yea I can jump it then freaked out tried to stop hit the jump to hard and went flying... bounced a couple of times and just lay there. Sam was laughing at me and I'm lying there in so much pain. Another great stack I stood up and just fell over and whacked my head, wasn't even moving. Good times.

So my opinion of revelstoke was positive. I enjoyed the tree runs but the visibility was a little frustrating at times. Sam was great.

No comments: